Saturday, May 29, 2010

Russian Anastasia Rodionova

Little known Russian Anastasia Rodionova made tennis history by becoming only the second player to be disqualified from a WTA Tour match when she smashed a ball at fans cheering for her opponent.

Germany's Angelique Kerber won at the Cincinnati Open after Rodionova was disqualified for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Anastasia Rodionova

Anastasia Rodionova tries to explain where she was aiming to hit the ball

Anastasia Rodionova

Anastasia Rodionova in tears of being disqualified

Rodionova had already complained to the umpire about fans applauding for her German opponent during points when her temper finally boiled over.

She lost the first game of the deciding set and, in frustration, responded by smacking a ball towards a group of three fans sat at the opposite end of the court.

The ball hit halfway up the front of the stand but, while the players were changing ends, the umpire summoned tournament referee William Coffey who decided to default Rodionova and award Kerber a 4-6 6-4 1-0 victory.

The Russian said afterwards: "I'm shocked. I still don't understand why they defaulted me. I'm really upset.

"I've never seen in my life anyone defaulted in this situation. I had no warning. I didn't hit the ball at anybody.

"I didn't swear at anybody. I didn't throw my racket."

The only other default in the tour's 36-year history was of Irina Spirlea in 1996 for foul language towards an official.